
Yesterday and today were two of my three days off (the other being tomorrow) that make up for the two straight weeks I've put in at the bookstore. Yesterday, I went with my friends Nick and Andrew up to Hart lake (a 4 hour hike). It was quite enjoyable and very beautiful. Some of the highlights included a near-slip-off-a-sandy cliff, a wrong turn that led us to the "horse ford" over a river instead of the "foot log" (we didn't realize there was a foot log because we'd missed the sign and nearly took the perilous crossing by foot... don't worry, we ended up being smarter than expected!) and an hour of reading and
napping by the beautiful lake.Today, I slept in late, did some reading and knitting (working on the 3rd hat of my Holden experience... pictures to come soon, I PROMISE), ate a little, and enjoyed the sun-shiny day. The real highlight of today, though, was taking a tour through Winston (the old miner's village) with a woman who spent four years of her childhood there and has done a lot of research since then. Her name is Linda (don't remember the last name, but will try to find it). She told us stories of the "village characters" she remembers including a woman with several dozen cats, a family whose Cocker Spaniel ate at the table with them, a
woman who won a beautiful toboggan in a raffle, and other interesting people. She told us of the sports and games that children and adults took part in. She told us what the various buildings at Holden used to be and how they were used differently. She told us about the time when the bridge was taken out by an avalanche and how the children were escorted across the avalanche chute on their way to class in small groups by mothers with teachers watching the hill for signs of another slide. We even found some of the old iris from gardens that used to be planted in the village. It was very enjoyable and I taped some video footage of parts of it for me to share with
you when I get home! Yeah!Tomorrow, I have plans to hike up to Copper Lake with some friends. It is a hike labeled "strenuous" on the trail maps and I'm a little nervous about keeping up, but my friends will take care of me... I know it! If there are any stories to report from that trip, I will be sure to let you know. Wednesday, I'm back to work, so the stories slow a bit (other than the infamous "Tales From the Register" with the most quirky and strange of Holden's visitors in leading roles).
Love to you all!
Lauren




3 comments:
I climbed Copper back when we were there....though inadvisable, I did it solo and as a scramble....as quick up and down as I could do it. You, no doubt are learning that the descents prolly are harder on the bod than the climbs.
Have much fun and I hope I passed on all the adventure genes that I hold. love pompa
What a great opportunity to hear about life at Winston through the eyes and voice of someone who lived there! I am sure that the "little anthropologist" in you was pretty excited! :)
Good luck on the hike to Cooper Lake--you can do it! I bet that your legs are getting stronger... :) Love to you, Mom
After some trouble linking to your blog and with my jet-lag fog clearing, I remembered that I have it in my blog folder (from the japan trip days). So--I decided to forgo lunch and soak up all the Holden entries right away. Your time sounds simply divine and so perfect for your life journey, Lauren.
I am anxiously awaiting your next entry. I, too, have many stories of Switzerland hiking to share with you. As if it couldn't get any better, a letter arrived from you today when I checked the mail!
Much love, good vibes and smiles are sent to you on this beautiful sunny afternoon in D-Town. Cheers, Karen
Post a Comment