This past week was Spanish week here at Holden village. The entire atmosphere changed entirely as the population shifted in two days from a primarily Minnesotan Lutheran population to a primarily Hispanic population from the west coast. There was a lot of energy here and everyone was very helpful and cheerful. I'll put up a few pictures, but it was really just a whirlwind of a week and we were glad to make it through.
Also, before that, my supervisor Steph and her family went on an out and I spent the entire week doing all of the ordering, restocking, etc. and kept the store afloat. Frankly, I was really proud that everything went as smoothly as it did.
I took one day to go down to the lake and (theoretically) catch Caleb on his way to put that big green/blue van on the barge out. I planned to work the morning shift, ride the afternoon bus down, stay the night, and ride the morning bus back up. However, the barge came earlier than expected and Caleb headed out before I got down there. I ended up with almost 24 hours alone with myself. It ended up being a wonderful time to reflect on life and myself, read, sketch, swim, and hike. I went up to Domkey Lake which was a steep hike with a lot of mosquitoes, but a really wonderful time for me. I stayed down in the A-Frame at Lucerne that evening, swam some in the morning between reading some more, and took the morning bus back up. It was a much-appreciated vacation.
Also, I got moved out of my amazing little apartment into Lodge 1 (basically a dorm where we share a bathroom, kitchen, washer... hang clothes to dry... and have to respect quiet hours, which isn't too hard). I actually am loving the room quite a bit. I have a roommate, Annie, for a few more days and then, hopefully, I will have the room as my own. It is possible that during the Miner's reunion, I will have to share my space because it will be another housing crunch, but it shouldn't be too bad.
Not to go into details right now, because this is just a quick note, but I'm also considering plans about when to leave here and what should come next. I've been talking with a lot of new friends who are going to be living along the Western part of the US for a while going to school, finding jobs, etc. They all think I'd love it. I think they're right. However, I'm also still thinking about heading back to Minneapolis. Lots to decide. For all of you in the Midwest, I plan to be home over holidays, for sure. As much as I enjoy the freedom of being able to decide what comes next, I can't help but be a bit nervous about the fact that I haven't figured it all out yet. I know that everything will work out in the end... it's the journey that's the fun part. I figured I'd let you all know that I'm working on that process, but haven't really gotten anywhere with it yet.
Also, for everyone who has noticed that this blog actually started while I was preparing to spend last January in Japan, I wanted to mention that there are now four students from Japan who are staying here at Holden for the next month. I met two today. I have to say that I'll need to look up their names before I feel confident attempting to write them, but they seem like a lot of fun. One fellow stopped into the store today and, after the transaction, I beamed while I said, "ar-e-gato-go-zai-mas" in the fashion I remember so well from all the stores in Japan. He grinned and responded accordingly. It's sure fun to have connections back to wonderful times, isn't it?? If I can find the time and the confidence to begin more conversations, I will do so...
until later
Peace,
Lauren
No comments:
Post a Comment