Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Brace Yourself

What you are about to see may shock and amaze you. However, it's probably important that you see it.... otherwise you might not see me the next time you look in my direction.


This is something I've wanted to do since the year I got chicken pox at Potato Lake. A bunch of family friends were there together and many of the families had young kids roughly my age. At one point, all the boys sat on the picnic table and had their hair buzzed. I remember wanting to do the same. The more times an adult asked me if I was sure, the less sure I became and I didn't do it, but I've always secretly (or not always so secretly) wanted to be brave enough to go for it. On Monday night, I had confidently decided (not without a few butterflies) to finally do it. The worship assistant here at Holden, Angela Mitzki, had told me a couple weeks ago during passing conversation that she had a buzzer and would be willing to do the honors for me if/when I ever decided to go ahead with the project. After Vespers, I found her wonderful daughters and asked if either of them knew where she was. "On a hike to Hart Lake" was the response, but she'd be back soon. I waited until she returned, gathered a small entourage of friends, and knocked on her door. She was thrilled to do the honors, and thrilled by the fact that a troupe of teen & twenty-somethings arrived at her door with the question, "would you shave my head?" I am proud of myself and feeling confident in my decision. I know that it isn't what a lot of you would expect from me, and I know that the questions of "What about job interviews" and other such events will be at the front of your mind. Don't worry, these are all things I've pondered, too. I know that a future employer isn't supposed to look at things like haircuts and make their decision, but I also know that they do look at appearance and ask if this interviewee looks like they would fit into the work environment. I have nearly two months before I will be meeting with any future employers (time for it to grow into a pixie cut if I desire) and I feel that if I am confident and comfortable in my own skin (which I am already starting to feel with this new look), I will still show myself as the person I am. As for the question, "what does it feel like" (which usually comes next): it feels empowering and graceful. I feel good. I feel proud. I feel a little nervous about reactions from the people who've known me for so long, but I also feel I will be accepted and loved just as I always have been... after all, it's just hair!
What do you think??!?!??!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know how i feel...nothing's changed...still big love.

Anonymous said...

I think that you are beautiful...always.

"Love is not love which alteration changeth..." W. Shakepeare

Mom

MissMarit said...

you rock that better than I did, that's for sure.
You are lovely, Lauren!