Monday, December 15, 2008

Since We've No Place To Go... Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow

That title might be a bit misleading... my departure date from Holden is rapidly approaching (Wednesday!!!). However, it is not here yet, and we've been getting the snow we'd hoped for. On Thursday and Friday we accumulated about 8 inches of the white fluff here and between then and now, so much has happened!
Steph (the wonderful "boss") returned to the village Sunday. I met her at the boat after doing the final Polar Bear Club of Holden jump of the year. On that note, might I add: BURRRRR! I welcomed Steph back into the village with open arms and was happy to know that nothing had fallen apart in her absence. In fact, I am proud of how well I did. Not only did I keep the store up and running for three weeks entirely on my own, I paid invoices, ordered books (including all the J-term reading after correspondence with St. Olaf professors), unpacked 10 boxes of books, and managed to check in the $7,718.65 of fair trade items (our only order from SERV for the next year!), get the shelves stocked with it, and store it all in our new storage room (my former bedroom!). When the order came in, everyone just groaned. It took us all about 15 minutes to carry all the huge boxes across the street to the store. With the help of my two good friends and trusty sidekicks, we went through it all in less than two days!
Anyway, I told Steph that she wasn't allowed to set foot in the store on Sunday so that she could have at least one day of transition before diving into everything that happened while she was gone. I maintain that this was a good idea... however, it didn't turn out the way planned.
Sunday night we had a village-wide sledding party down the steep and slippery Chalet hill (yes, I did get sledding in before I left!!!). I went down a few times and had a blast then went into the Coffey's chalet for hot cocoa and cookies (mmmm). It was a blast...
but
for Steph's daughter, Cailin, the party end up more of a "bust". She was a part of a collision and it is believed that her arm broke in the process. Steph and Cailin headed out today to get an x-ray of it and potentially get it all bandaged up. They'll be coming back into the village Wednesday (when I head out). So much for spending two days talking about everything she missed! I'm concerned about the stress level Steph will encounter upon arrival, but I also believe that I've done everything I can and kept good notes.
Some of you may remember the infamous "how-to" book that I made for Grandma Potter to go with her new cell phone. Today I finished a similar tool for Steph so that she can, hopefully, keep the computer inventory of our books running smoothly (or at least semi-smoothly) after I'm gone.
In other news, I'm nearly packed. I think tomorrow is going to be stressful for me getting all the usual loose ends tied up... and saying goodbye.
It's always strange to leave a place knowing that, no matter how much you'll miss it, it will be moving on without you. I know that some of the people here will miss me. I also know that new ones are coming in all the time and it is unlikely that I will ever find this same group of people in one place once I leave. Such strange things to think about.
It's been cold up here and I'm starting to itch for home.
Lots to go before I leave.... and "miles to go before I sleep."
Love, love, love

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks like a hot cup o' mud would be a pretty welcome thing.....share one soon? pompa

Anonymous said...

Be prepared...it is -4 degrees (F)currently and feels like -18 here in Zumbrota...However, we will have a warm welcome ready for you when you return...We are so excited to have you home soon! Love, Mom