Thursday, September 3, 2009

Home is Where The Heart Is

That's probably a bad title... but what I was aiming at is "my heart just rode busses from Olympia to Seattle, a plane from Seattle to Phoenix, another plane from Phoenix to Minneapolis, and a car from the cities home"... so my heart is currently residing in Zumbrota for nearly two weeks while I take a break from the job search and attempting to carve my niche in Olympia. I am lucky enough to be able to participate in the wedding of lovely friends (the kind that count as family), Matt and Jess, up in Fargo over the weekend. I don't have many solid plans yet except for the wedding, perhaps catching the Renaissance Festival for a day, perhaps running down to Decorah for a day (where Logan has taken up residency in my stead...) and trying to see Grandma Potter for her birthday. I know that my days will fill and fly by much too fast and then it will be time to go back, hopefully refreshed with good people and a little bit of rejuvenation from the heartland.
Although it seems counter-intuitive to go from Seattle to Minnesota vis Phoenix, I enjoyed the trip a good deal with a little Kerouac reading, some journaling/sketching, and some good music on my iPod. I was "lucky" enough to get the aisle seat next to two business men who threw back their heads and snored the whole two and a half hours from Washington to Arizona except when they would occasionally get up, go to the bathroom, and return moments later... which always requires so much more complication and puzzling of bodies in a small aisle than seems necessary. In a real lucky break, though, I was able to enjoy an across-the-aisle-mate who was reading some Howard Zinn (an author we carried a good deal of up at Holden), appreciated my Kerouac, and was the only other person to jokingly throw up his arms for a rollercoaster ride when the plane hit intense turbulence and took a sudden, steep dive that sent most of the riders into terrorized ear-splitting screams. Instant connection. Turns out he's a musician and I looked up his band's music (out of Ohio) and it's quite nice "melodic sixties indie rock". :) I was glad to have someone to chat with for the last half hour rather than join the business men in their head-back, mouth open, synchronized snoring and drooling routine.
Well, it's about time to head out. I'm glad to be back in the bosom of my country and will let you know about how fun the wedding was. Promise!
Love, Love, Love.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry I missed your Phoenix connection! Glad you had a safe trip! Enjoy your time traveling around your old stomping grounds!
Love-Jane