Apparently, after months of neglect, my blog is suddenly in need of a bunch of new posts. Go figure!
As you may or may not know, I've been rehearsing at least four nights a week through January for a show that will be performing the first three weeks in February. The play is called "The Wrestling Season" and you can find a little write-up about it here:
Our Theater: http://www.olympiafamilytheater.org/2009-2010/Wrestling.html
Script: http://www.dramaticpublishing.com/p1743/The-Wrestling-Season/product_info.html
It is a play written for a high school audience and takes place around a wrestling team. All of the team members have their identity, their struggles, and their secrets. A line that is repeated throughout the play is "You think you know me, but you don't." As the teammates participate in what their friends expect of them, some hide who they really want to be, spread rumors, or isolate themselves. My character's name is Nicole. She's the "sidekick" to the popular girl, Heather. She acts ditzy, but she's smarter and more aware than she lets on. Even though she doesn't approve of most of the things Heather does, she wants to be liked and she fears leaving her social group so late in the game. What if she tries to branch out and ends up rejected and alone? She watches as Matt and Luke's friendship is torn apart when rumors fly that they're gay. As Matt tries fervently to prove he isn't (dating the girl rumored to be the school "slut" and commenting on how "sick and wrong" being gay is), he doesn't see that he is pushing Luke, who secretly is gay, further and further away. It is an interesting script and, even though plays written for teen audiences are often terrible, I think this one actually has a surprising amount of complexity and depth. This Sunday, we start with our Tech rehearsals and opening night is the 5th. Since most of you won't be able to make it (don't worry, I'm not hurt by that), I thought I'd upload my actor's bio and the previous description of the play. Enjoy:
"This is my debut on an Olympian stage, although I've been performing for much of my life. I grew up in Minnesota's community theaters and studied acting (and a variety of other subjects) at Luther College in Iowa. Being new to the area, I've appreciated the wonderful opportunity to interact with Samantha and my lovely cast-mates. Together, we have found truth in the idea that each character is as simple as they are complex. At the same time, their circumstances speak beautifully to the struggles we all face: making sense of who we are, making choices about who we will become, and searching for our place in the world."
Thursday, January 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment