I woke up today to terrible weather and a pile of errands to run on my bicycle in the blowing, pouring rain before going to work...
and I'm having the best day I've had in a while... funny how that works.
This building of the office is completely empty and I have Pandora playing loudly while I accomplish things left and right.
Modest Mouse: World At Large: from the album "Good News for People Who Like Bad News" is making me happy right now... I'm listening to MGMT radio.
I just got to re-write and re-vamp the position description for the AmeriCorps member who will get my job in six months. I got the amazing OK from my supervisors to change the entire focus of the position from the office-based work it is now to a more hands-on community-recruitment position next year. I'm setting the new person up with a whole list of schools in the county who want to install educational food gardens to use with their kids for learning science (life cycles, horticulture, botany, ecosystems). I'm giving them the position description of bridging Master Gardeners and 4-H by matching/connecting Master Gardener volunteers with these school and giving them 4-H curriculum, training, insurance, and support through the summer months if they create garden clubs to do the fun stuff around gardening outside of their science classes (as well as inside). I'm so excited about all of this - I could burst!! It almost makes me want to stay on to take up this job next year... now that I know how the office and community works... now that I've made some of these school connections - and bonds with our current volunteers - and gained so much of my own knowledge. Now that I've met all the strange and wonderful contorted, fruit-bearing, character-filled Seuss plants of the area. At the same time, I'm so excited to get back to the Heartland and those that I love.
Positivity abounds.
Let it pour and blow outside! Let me bike home in it! See if it can dampen my mood!
For those of you who have heard none or part of the story:
Caleb is gone in Leavenworth doing an awesome internship on a farm there:
http://www.sustainablenorthwest.org/stories/gibbs-organic-produce/
That left me to find a new home and start a different chapter of my Olympia adventure. I've now moved into a house (yeah, you read right, a HOUSE). It's a sweet and TINY little periwinkle one-bedroom house on a quiet street really close to downtown halfway up the "big hill". In less than 10 minutes, I can be in downtown sipping coffee if I step out the door and start moving forward. If I take two right turns, in 15 minutes, I can be anywhere in Mall Land - or if I make a different choice and turn left, I can be to the co-op and looking at the wall of my old building. I had to figure out, for the first time, what to do with a "spare room". It has a door and two windows and a closet... what to put there? I've solved the problem by having my very own ART ROOM! I'm doing a work-trade for part of my rent putting in a rain garden and some edible native plants for the landlord who lives in the garage-converted-into-great-apartment. I tried to convince her to go back into the house and leave me with the tiny wonderful space, but she would have none of it. :)
I'm still in the process of unpacking and setting up, but I see that things there will be cozy and good. If you come visit me, you can stay on the futon in the art room!
I'm enjoying Master Gardener training and just started Master Composter training. I will have a little re-learning to do when I get to the Midwest: new climate, new plants, but I would love to help you make garden plans then.
Keep your joy today.
Love, love, love.
Friday, April 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
perfect, my little warrior d
I think that it all sounds "positively" perfect...Love, Mom
Post a Comment