Saturday, January 3, 2009

Ringing In The New Year


I was really lucky to get to go down to Decorah to celebrate the start of the new year.  
I picked up Caleb in Rochester (as he was glazing three loaves of fresh bread) and, together, we headed down to Decorah with much anticipation.  As I've been going to Luther and becoming a part of the Decorah community, I've spent the last several years telling him about how awesome that place is and how much I think he'd love getting connected to it.  FINALLY all of that subliminal (and not-so-subliminal) messaging got through and our combined excitement sped the ride down until it
 took almost no time at all.  I might also add that Jack Nicholson and Bobby McFerrin performing the "Elephant's Child"... a childhood memory of mine... was nice background atmosphere. 
When we arrived in town, I proceeded to drive nearly every street of this special "home" of mine and point out the building where "that friend of mine I told you about" lived and show the apartment where "we had all of those fun 'Funk Parties'" and the porch off the back of my "first and most beautiful apartment".  It was wonderful stroll down memory lane for me and an (I think) enjoyable introduction to the town for him.  We had lunch at the Oneota Co-Op (I remembered my member number!), I introduced him to Left Hand's "Milk Stout" at the Rubiyat, the Smeby parents at La Rana, and left him to fend for himself for a while as I met up with my friend Owen... don't worry, he survived just fine and was even invited to go on an adventure to a nearby town to party with complete strangers (declined).  
Around 9:00pm we headed over to my dear friend Andy's house and I was surprised to see more of my favorite Decorah-ites in one place than I'd expected, including Maren who was back  for a short time from Baltimore for work!  It was wonderful to catch up on people's current lives and just to see/enjoy them all again.  Befo
re too long, Caleb and I joined others heading up to the Elk's Club where the band Reptile Palace was performing for the third successive new year party.  There was dancing... both Eastern European folk and more "modern conventional"... to partake in.  We danced and talked the night away.  I was so deeply happy to be there with all those lovely people of the Decorah community... and a little free champagne at midnight, as we counted down and Auld Lang Syne was performed, was an added bonus.  A little more dancing, greeting friends with smiles and hugs, and conversation was followed by a return to our home-for-the-night at Andy's and that group of friends.
Being as old and boring as I am, I completely konked out around 2:00am (uff-da that's late!).
In the morning, Mark Smeby made quiche, french toast, bacon, and coffee with/for Andy, Maren, Caleb, Sam, Anna, and me.  Yum!  For all of my readers, I highly suggest such a breakfast around a table with friends as a start to every new year.
The rest of the day included a wonderful visit out to Meadow Farm with the Sliwas and a friend of theirs (who I met in Japan with Gereon and Amanda!) with more wonderful food, tea, and awesome conversation around various sustainable living, building, and farming options among other things.  Because the hill up the drive from their home was so icy and steep, we parked at the top and took a nice long walk down and, later, back up after exploring the property and the orchard a bit.  It was cold out, but I was so happy to walk under the beautiful colors of sky through wispy clouds that only happen in the midwest winters (and was so happy for the wonderful visit) that it barely mattered.
As I stopped to deposit Caleb back in Rochester with his mom, I took a little extra time to stay and enjoy his chef's take on some of the Salmon his sister Megan caught on a big fishing extravaganza this summer.  If you ask him, it didn't turn out as planned, but if you ask me, he did a great job with what he had.  That was followed with a little coffee at the 300 bar downtown and then a drive home through a patch of hard wind and snow to see parents still waiting up to make sure I made it home safely.
What a start to 2009.
A happy New Year to each of you!
love, love, love,
Lauren

No comments: