Friday, March 6, 2009

Oops...

I've waited MUCH too long to update you all on my life at home.  Partially, this is because I have fewer "exciting" things going on, partially this is because I'm in seek/find/apply/accomplish modes, and partially because many of you are easier to connect with now.  Of course, just because I'm back to the world of phones, reliable internet, and driving to visit friends, doesn't mean that I've done a good job connecting with all the people in my wonderful web of friends.
So... I shall update:
Last you heard, I had arrived home 13 hours late on Christmas Eve with my dear friend Caleb, hurriedly scrambled to see many of "my people" (including both family and friends) over the holidays, enjoyed a short trip to Decorah for New Years and was just starting to settle into the business of finding employment.
Well, it hasn't all gone quite as planned (surprise, surprise).  I'm back at home, living in the bedroom I've inhabited since middle school.  I started out with MUCH enthusiasm applying to positions, mostly in the Twin Cities, that fit my experiences, interests, and ambitions.  As I worked and reworked the resume and cover letters and received more and more letters telling me that group XYZ is looking for someone with "more experience", my ambition and enthusiasm waned and things started to look grim.  Apparently, when a company is fighting for survival in a down economy, they don't like hiring newbies.  
Of course, this mentality can be argued: 
"but I'm a blank slate!  You can make me into anything you want me to be!", 
"I haven't been in the business long enough to form opinions that will butt heads with yours!", 
"I have a variety of experiences... even if it isn't in this particular position... and have a well-formed world view!", 
and the EVER POPULAR
"How can I gain experience when nobody will hire me?"
Sadly, I'm sure they've heard these things a thousand times.
So, I got to work applying around Zumbrota in the hopes of pumping up my meek little bank account and giving myself a few more options.  I ended up working at several of the places in town I admire doing work I enjoy (a lot more than just sitting at home), even though it may not be exactly what I'd hoped to do with my expensive college education and life experiences.
On the weekends, I am a barrista at Bridget's Cafe on Main Street, Zumbrota.  Bridget is a wonderful chef and boss.  She's done a wonderful job breathing new life into the former "Aromas" (I'll name drop for those of you who haven't been in Zumbrota for a while, but remember our family's coffeehouse).  If you come in on a Sunday between 9am and 1pm, you might just get me as your waitress!
http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Bridgets.Cafe.507-732-4646 

Sometimes, when they are in desperate need of soul behind the register, I am lucky enough to work as a sales girl at the wonderful Wild Ginger (also on Main Street, Zumbrota).  Roxanne does a wonderful job getting fun things into her little boutique that are classy and quality, and worth checking out... especially during current sales!
http://www.shopwildginger.com

On Tuesday and Wednesday evenings, I've found a little more income doing some miscellaneous work for Marie at Crossings at Carnegie, a block East of Main Street in Zumbrota.  It's a fun community art center that's become a the lifeblood of the community's creativity.  I'm actually going to be teaching an introductory drawing class there in March/April and just auditioned for a series of Thorton Wilder one-act plays there last night (wish me luck!).
http://www.crossingsatcarnegie.com 

I accidently got myself into the world of artistic modeling.  I've been sitting for a very talented local figure artist, Mike Schad, as he works on portraits and was recently referred to a few other artist who are teaching classes.  If you know anyone in the area who is in need of a clothed model, feel free to send them my way.  It's been an enjoyable way to earn a little more income.

Currently, all of these things are putting money into savings as I dream about heading West again (the American dream) and getting involved in the education and community outreach side of the arts in the Olympia, WA area.  If you know anyone I should connect with that way, I'd LOVE to hear about them, just send me a line.

To keep myself sane, I've been going for walks, catching up with old friends when they're in the area, and traveling every few weeks down to Decorah... a town that still lies extremely close to my heart.

Well, I know that's a brief update, but it'll have to do for now.  Coffee's done and it's time to head out for the rest of my day.
Love, love, love to you all.
~Lauren

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sphrouts........?!?!?