I'm now a proud citizen of Olympia, WA and trying to find my place. I've been really lucky to have some good people to help me out and an ever-increasing sense of self-worth and ability. Early on Friday the 12th, Mr. Twinkles and I boarded a plane and took off toward Olympia. As always, I was running a teeny bit late, but got through security and seated on the plane in plenty of time. I was excited and nervous, happy and sad... so much of so many things that I forgot to give my family the lovingly-prepared card (which I have yet to send!!). Twink was a great sport on the plane. He mewed a few times, but not loud. Mostly, he just hunkered down and slept. I alternated between a few minutes of napping (too excited to sleep the whole way), a few minutes of staring out the window (I got to see the Cascade Mountains... home to Holden... from above, along with my favorite farmland home), and a few minutes of working on the hard Sudoku my favorite father gave me before I boarded (finished before I landed... even without the BrainTrust of Willie and Dad to aid me).
We landed in Olympia and found Caleb waiting at the edge of security with a pretty wild daisy excited to grab my bags and welcome me to my new home.
After a bit of a drive, a stop for gas, an attempted walk with a cat-on-a-leash (failure), and a whole bunch of catching up, we arrived at the cabin.
I'm currently sharing a cabin with Caleb right off the Eld Inlet in the forest right off the campus of Evergreen. However, that situation is changing as the landlord reorganizes the property at the end of the month, so we're in search mode for a new place. We spent all weekend through Monday looking at newspaper ads, searching Craigslist, calling people, and looking at spaces (developed an "I like it" and a "No way" facial communication system quickly). We've found two that are high potentials and now just have to decide between the two and make it official.
The current home (the cabin) is basically a glorified tool shed with a door on the front and a split door on the back. Twinkles has already escaped the house twice... once by jumping out a window and once by pushing open the door in the middle of the night (terrible morning realization: door open, Twink gone). We're taking steps to prevent further breaches in security.
It's about a 10 minute walk up to Evergreen campus where I can pop online and write you/check e-mail and a about 10 minutes the other way to the Evergreen Organic Farm where Caleb works and learns and I've been volunteering. I'm loving the opportunity to go get my hands in the ground and weed potatoes, transplant kale, harvest strawberries, and enjoy the sun while watering. I've been meeting many of his classmates while they work on their individual community garden plots and enjoy being able to recognize a few faces around campus and the farm.
I've also been in close contact with a wonderful woman out here, Carrie. She's been amazing at helping me find some roots. She has been highly involved in the arts community out here for a long time (although she is currently working on a sequel to her children's novel and is a little less in the loop than she was previously). She's offered me some money to help her family with garden work and do some babysitting so that I at least have some money coming in to help with rent, food, transportation, and life. She's also been keeping a finger on the art pulse of Olympia and sending information my way.
Last night, I found an advertisement for a really neat position in the arts and this morning she called me to tell me about it... encouraging me to apply. So, I'm reworking my resume to reflect more the more recent and more artistic experiences I've had in the hopes of interesting them into giving me an interview where I'm sure I can win them over. I'll share more about this as it happens. For now, I'll tell you that I'm excited.
I've also been working on getting my foot in the door with some of the organizations in town by filling out volunteer forms and calling to offer help while I'm free. I'm hoping that this will lead to a few opportunities where I can at least start connecting to the community, if not finding paid positions within them.
All in all, life is grand. I know it's only been a few days and that reality isn't entirely kicked in. I know I'll feel more and more at home as I make friends and find a job. Giving myself a purpose always helps.
I just wanted to let you all know not to worry about me. I'm doing great and feeling wonderful. I haven't had the best cell service out in the forest or on campus (all concrete and metal buildings and trees), but it seems to be better downtown. Hopefully my communication will improve as I find a new home.
Love, love, love to you all!
Thank you for all of your support and know that (even though I'm doing well) I miss you all very much!
1 comment:
So glad to get a glimpse of the new life in Olympia...Good luck--hope that there are some interviews in your future!
I love you. Mom
Post a Comment